Saturday, December 6, 2014

Seashell Christmas Tree


I can't help but walk through every aisle when I go to a craft store - and when the holiday items come out, it's like I could never leave the store! I like to think I'm practicing self control when I pick up and an item, then put it back on the shelf. But really, it's my ever nagging bank account in the back of my head saying, "you don't need that" or, "you could make that for a lot less." While those statements may be true, sometimes it takes me a lot longer to make it myself.

I saw a beautiful seashell tree at Michael's last Christmas season and picked it up, thinking how perfectly it would go in my seashell/beach theme bathroom. Naturally, the price tag gave me second thoughts. This was something I could make for myself - I didn't even need to buy shells, since I knew I had some packed away in my craft room, somewhere.
Yet, I didn't get around to making it til now -




Here's what I used
  • styrofoam cones
  • small seashells
  • hot glue gun
  • glitter spray







I made two styles and different sized seashell trees. For the larger tree, I used all the same type of shell and glued them on from the bottom up so that they overlapped at each layer. The smaller tree was all different shells and I glued them down like puzzle pieces - wherever they fit best.


I even glued some pointy shells together to make a "star" for the top.

           Once I had glued on all the shells, the trees were ready to be glitter blasted - making them look like they were covered in a fresh, sparkly snow!

Let it dry according to the glitter spray directions and it's done. It's just that easy! 



This is a perfection addition to your holiday decorations, whether you spend Christmas in Florida or just like to bring a little bit of the beach into your home.





No comments:

Post a Comment