Thursday, February 13, 2014

Valentine Sugar Cookies


I'm going to share the best sugar cookie recipe I've ever used; granted I'm not the type to try a lot of different recipes - when I find a good one I stick with it until someone recommends a better one.

My sister got this recipe from the back of a butter box (if my memory is correct) and thought she'd give it a try. The results were super soft and almost fluffy sugar cookies. My favorite!

             For about 3 dozen cookies:
      1 cup butter, softened
      1 cup sugar
      1 egg
      2 1/2 cups flour
      2 Tbsp orange juice
      1 Tbsp vanilla
      1 tsp baking powder

Combine butter, sugar, and egg and beat at medium speed until creamy. Add remaining ingredients. Beat at low speed until well mixed. Place plastic wrap directly over cookie dough and refrigerate until firm (2 hrs or more).

Once the dough is chilled and ready - Preheat oven to 400°F. 

Roll and cut as normal for sugar cookies. 
Bake on an un-greased cookie sheet for 6-10 minutes (or more on stoneware).

Who knew orange juice was the secret ingredient to amazing sugar cookies?!
Make sure to roll out the dough about a 1/4" thick for softer cookies, but not too thick, or they fall apart when you go to frost them. 

Frosting:
   1/3 cup butter, softened
   1 tsp vanilla
   3 cups powdered sugar
   2-3 Tbsp milk

Beat butter on low speed until fluffy; mix in vanilla. Continue to mix, adding powdered sugar by the cup and gradually adding milk until desired consistency.

Be sure to let the cookies cool completely before frosting. 
I have used this recipe to make Christmas cookies with my boyfriend's nephews the past couple years and they love it too! They ask to make cookies throughout the year now and I wish I had more time to do just that. 
These heart cookies I made on my own; relaxing as I drew each fun design. I really do think cookie and cake decorating is relaxing if I'm not pressed for time!

Do you have a favorite sugar cookie recipe that you think I should try? Leave a comment; let me know!
Happy Heart Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment