Monday, April 28, 2014

Flower Bed

Spring is a wonderful time to get dirty!


I have been patiently waiting for a day off with nice weather, so that I could dig up around my deck and plant the tiger lily bulbs that my dad pulled from his yard almost two weeks ago! Unfortunately, I wasn't having luck - the sun was shining when I was stuck inside at work and it was hidden behind clouds on my days off.
Today, I got out of work with plenty of sunshine left and I decided to get the job done! (I had NO idea how involved it was going to be...)
I didn't take a before picture, bummer, but here it is after I got the area cleared and dug out.

Notice the "bowling ball" rock at the bottom of the gutter drain? That was my biggest frustration to dig out! Never mind the countless smaller rocks (it seemed like the graveyard of rocks) or the 5-foot tall weeds, those were simple to remove compared to how long it took to get that big rock loose. Determined that it would be the last rock I needed to dig out, I kept at it.

After an hour and a half, I had a decent looking trench, without boulders, and I was ready to plant.
Thankfully, I had saved the dirt that I used in my container garden last summer and had two large totes of nice, rock-free dirt to put in around the bulbs.
I reused the brick edging that had previously been grown over and covered by the weeds to outline the area for the lilies and I am so pleased with all my hard work! (However my body, already hurting, is mildly regretting it.)

I'm very excited to see how they will bloom here! And will have to remember to add some pictures once they do.



**(The following photos were added during the summer of 2015. Some absolutely gorgeous lilies!)



        





No comments:

Post a Comment